13 Jun Carve’s Reaction to the Latest WWDC Announcement
Apple lengthy-keynote last June 5 at the WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference) gave us 6 big announcements.
- watchOS – Apple unveiled the new smartwatch OS dubbed as watchOS 4. It features new watch faces and heavy integration of Siri cards. Siri can tell you your reminders, the music you’re playing, how your workout is going and more. The new watchOS changed their Workout UI! That means it has more integration and data exchange between workout machines.
- macOS High Sierra – This is Apple’s new macOS which now supports VR. Improvements on their Mac’s native browser Safari will help secure information stored on your device which will be available this September.
- iMac Pro – iMac fans, the long wait is over! Apple finally refreshed the iMac and defined it as “an entirely new workstation-class product line designed for pro users with the most demanding workflows.” Wow! It features sharper and brighter screens with a 5K display. Performance under the hood powers up to 18-core Xeon processors and up to 22 Teraflops of graphics computation. They really went all out with these new features, right?
- iOS – Welcome to next version of iOS! iOS 11 is expected to debut this fall and comes with a plethora of new features both for iPhone and iPad. Up is Siri, it includes new female and male voice plus new UI. Siri can now learn and help predict suggestions from on-device learning which makes it more intelligent.
Moving to its camera department, it now supports HVEC for 1/2 the size of videos on the device versus H264 now with its improved low light photos. Got a bunch of refreshed UI design from its iMessage with Apple Pay integration, new single-page Control Panel, and more!
- iPad Pro – Apple unveiled the new iPad Pro with sizes of 12.9”and 10.5”. This comes with a Retina display which now supports a 120Hz refresh rate. This makes watching movies and videos look spectacular and eye-catching, while games play smoothly. Apple claims the new iPad Pro is more powerful than most PC laptops with its A10X Fusion chip with 64‑bit architecture and six cores that puts incredible power in your hands.
- HomePod – Apple just unveiled their newest product, the HomePod Speaker. The speaker is integrated with Siri that allows it to play music, quick sport scores, check traffic, send messages, read the latest news and more. Apple’s HomePod is going head-to-head and competes with Amazon Echo’s Alexa and Google Home voice command recognition. It features a round, mesh device and is seven inches tall and has seven tweeters and an Apple A8 chip.
With everything that they have launched, we all have mixed feelings about it. It’s been 10 years since they launched the first iPhone and still Apple continues to innovate new products. Ultimately, consumers will decide if these new features and products, especially the HomePod becomes a hit.
Can’t wait to try all these new features when they’re out!